Monumental Fiddling Championship Facts
- The Monumental Fiddling Championship is on May 26, 2012. It is held the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend at Homestead National Monument of America’s Education Center.
- The day will begin with three free workshops John McCutcheon shares his songwriting talent at 10 a.m. Debbie Greenblatt gives fiddling tips to new and experienced players at 10 a.m. David Seay leads a harmonica workshop at 11:30 a.m.
- The fiddling competition begins at 1 p.m.
- Three divisions will compete: Legends Division for those that have won this contest before Senior Division for those with 5 or more years of experience, and the Junior Division for those with less than 5 years of experience.
- A total of $1275 in prize money will be awarded. The winner in the Junior Division will receive $175, the Senior Division winner will receive $200 and the Legends Division winner will receive $250.
- For a complete list of rules visit http://www.nps.gov/home/planyourvisit/2012-monumental-fiddling-championship.htm
- All fiddlers will have a chance to win a new violin.
- Renowned folk musician John McCutcheon will perform at 7 p.m.
- The setting is near the restored tallgrass prairie of Homestead National Monument of America.
- A vendor serves lunch and dinner.
- For those wanting to spend the night there are motels, camping sites and restaurants available in Beatrice, NE., which is just four miles east of the Monument. For more information visit http://www.visitbeatrice.com
- Judges this year are Dr. Howard Marshall, Bill Stibor, and Mindy Hunke.
National Park Service
U.S. Department of the Interior
Homestead Nattional Monument of America
8523 W State Highway 4
Beatrice, Nebraska 68310